Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Auckland Star 1960 (Hells Angels Auckland)


I've been stupidly busy lately and also we haven't had the internet on at our new house for the last month, but I'm hoping to get back to some sort of normality soon? I haven't even been riding much, which pretty much makes me feel like life ain't worth living! Anyway while I haven't been posting much here, I have been collecting various bits and pieces that I do want to put on here...

Since beginning this blog a bit over three years ago now one of the things I've become more and more interested in is the history of motorcycling culture in New Zealand, and of course (because it's played such a large role in that here) the evolution of the club/gang scene. I read Jarrod Gilbert's recent book 'Patched' earlier this year and that provides a fascinating account of the early years of the MC scene in NZ, and then the evolution into the more recognizable 'gangs' of the late 70s, 80s, and 90s

Accuracy aside this is an interesting article, largely because it is very different to most other reporting around these clubs at the time (especially internationally). That the reporter has actually visited and talked to the club stands out, as does his framing them in a very positive light – "... a force for good among lads who might otherwise drift into hooliganism and delinquency."
The article is from The Auckland Star, 1960... I can't actually remember where I found this article but it's been sitting here on my hard drive for a while now.





6 comments:

  1. I am Yankee Jim Carrico and I did *NOT feed the reporter with "misinformation" Instead it was the reporter himself who was the one who misquoted me and I'll stand firm on that. You can quote me. I already talked with Jarrod Gilbert about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim, thanks for getting in touch, and my sincere apologies. It's always hard to tell with these old articles! I have amended the post, and I appreciate your setting me straight. Cheers, LW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim CarricoApril 17, 2018 at 4:04 AM
      thanks Luke. Let me explain what happened. The reporter first interviewed random milk bar cowboys (that were parked in front of the Majestic Theater I believe. I wasn't there.) and then wrote his story based on what he heard them say and it was the day after his first attempt to gather all his information, that he interviewed me. During his interview He repeatedly said to me:"you were a member of San Francisco H.A.? weren't you?" (I couldn't confirm his declaration/question) instead I said:"I was from Sacramento and I rode with them, I was an *affiliate of the Frisco Angels" (a hang-around supporter and a personal frieend of Frank Sadilek and "Then Came Bronson's" own *Birney Javis both of whom were original charter members of Frisco HA" Then the reporter went back to his typewriter and edited what he had previously written without editing out his errors which I corrected during the interview. Truth is he didn't give the article enough critical attention. The only other part of the article that might be interpreted is saying origination of the Club's well known *moniker I described it's origination as the
      name of a bomber flight group from the second world war. The reporter went on to write his story and ad-libbed "fighter squadron" Once the article was published nothing could be done to change what he had said. The club needed the article because we all wished to eliminate the *Gang tag/profiling by Auckland's general public. (hence the road patrol and distribution of courtesy cards was what got the reporters attention.) Auckland H.A. were the first to wear embroidered patches. Auckland H.A. was the first H.A. outside of California. (& outside the borders of the United States)
      who is responsible for bringing the HA Death's head to New Zealand? Frank Sadilek. (Frank didn't design it like so many historical account's have declared.) The Artist's name was "Sundown" he hung out at a Frisco pool room on 7th and Market Street in San Francisco. Frank sent 50 blank Frisco HA membership cards for Auckland HA to get started with. The colors of black and gold patch was a decision of the Auckland's pre-charter members and before the club was known as "red & white" I have a bit more memory about those days Luke where are you located U.S.A.? or N.Z.? lets get together on this maybe we can straighten out some crooked lines.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *transferred my comment to Luke's reply copy+pasted

      Delete
  4. explained: "Auckland H.A. were the first to wear embroidered patches..." (in New Zealand) to be specific. AND they were 3 Sacramento Outcast M.C. patches from Sacramento. After those
    cowboys who wore those Outcasts patches read a time magazine article about HA's visit to the frog jumps at Angels camp they declared they wanted to be Auckland's H.A.M.C. Next 1960's Frisco President Frank Sadilek sent us the cards after my request.

    ReplyDelete